[OS X TeX] format

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Jun 19 03:30:04 EDT 2004

On Jun 18, 2004, at 4:59 PM, Frans Goddijn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new on this list so I hope I won't make myself unpopular by
> starting off with a really dumb question.
>
> This week I got my first Apple, a Powerbook G4 and I installed
> TeXshop. Coming from XP I had to get used to the different look and
> feel of an "installer".
>
> Yesterday I found out that the TeXshop install is successfful insofar
> that I can compile a first LaTeX file successfully. A Dutch ConTeXt
> file didn't compile because there was no format file to be found.

You can start the i-Installer with the TeX i-Package and use Configure
to select formats. Dutch ConTeXt is off by default but you can turn it
on. Probably you selected the "Simple" install of the TeX i-Package and
as a result you got the default set of formats.

> ConTeXt man Hans Hagen happened to be around
> (http://www.xs4all.nl/~fgoddijn/friends/ntgboys/) and he did some
> daring things on a Linux type command line with SUDO in them. Then a
> format file was created in my personal home directory.

If you use the Configure stage of the TeX i-Package it will be created
in the right place.

> Then it took some complicated moves to find out where format files
> need to be stored and to move them there.
>
> Is this the right way? Or is there a menu somewhere where I can have
> format files generated and have them end up in the proper locations
> automatically?

Use Configure of your i-package. If you open your TeX i-Package and
select Configure, you will not get the "Simple" default configure but a
lot of chouces, including formats and languages.