[OS X TeX] Fixme question and favorite packages

Lisa Schweitzer lschwei at ucla.edu
Sun Jun 20 14:34:31 EDT 2004

Hello every one--

I have been playing with TCOBrowser (many thanks!) to snoop around on
ctan for new, fun packages to play with.  I found a package called
"fixme" which I could really use; unfortunately, I can't figure out
what commands you actually use to call up a margin note using this
package. I've been looking around for documentation. Any ideas?

Also, it occurs to me that it might be rather interesting to do an
informal poll about what packages people personally find the most
useful, given their  most frequent use of LaTex. For example, I do
academic writing in the social sciences, and I do a lot of manuscripts
(most recently my dissertation) with a lot of maps imported from a
geographic information system. The packages I have found to be
indispensable are:

breakcite
graphicx
rotating
threeparttable
amsfonts
amsmath
fancyhdr
lineno

Packages that have been, for me, the most fun to play with:

lettrine
quotchap
gchords
gladtex

Anybody else have favorite packages to recommend? Ones they couldn't
life without? Although the discussion may be a little OT, it would sure
be helpful and informative to me and, I suspect, other intermediate Tex
users.

Lisa