[OS X TeX] Fixme question and favorite packages

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Sun Jun 20 16:11:54 EDT 2004

On Jun 20, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Lisa Schweitzer wrote:

> Also, it occurs to me that it might be rather interesting to do an
> informal poll about what packages people personally find the most
> useful, given their most frequent use of LaTex. For example, I do
> academic writing in the social sciences....[snip]

	Same here -- economics primarily.  FWIW, the "standard" set of
packages I load in LaTeX (a customized template in TeXShop) for
research papers:

\usepackage{natbib}						% For references and bibliographies
\usepackage{graphicx}					% For including graphics files
\usepackage[center,bf]{caption2}			% For placing captions on tables and
figures
\usepackage{rotating}					% For rotating large table and figures

\usepackage{amsmath}						% For typesetting certain math objects
\usepackage{amssymb}						% For certain math symbols and fonts
\usepackage{mathrsfs}					% For \mathscr redefined to Zapf
Chancery-like font
\usepackage{bm}							% For bold math characters in certain fonts
(below)

\usepackage[usenames]{color}				% For colored notes in drafts
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\usepackage{lastpage}
\usepackage{xspace}

%\usepackage{palatino,mathpazo}			% For Palatino text & math fonts
\usepackage{utopia,fourier,courier}		% For Utopia & Courier text fonts,
with Fourier math font
%\usepackage{alltt}						% For formating computer code

\usepackage{setspace}					% For "double"-spacing text
\usepackage[left=1in,right=1in,top=0.75in,bottom=1in]{geometry}
										% For setting page dimensions
\usepackage[colorlinks=true,
			linkcolor=black,
			citecolor=black,
			urlcolor=blue,
			bookmarks=false]{hyperref}

	(Hmm -- looks like the line wrap and tab settings in Mail don't match
those in TeXShop....)  I'll probably assemble a related set for
teaching later this summer.

                                         -- Mike