[OS X TeX] trim pdf figures

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 22 08:09:52 EDT 2004

Le 22 juin 04, à 13:26, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> On Jun 22, 2004, at 2:46 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> All the software that I know (Adobe Illustrator, Mathematica, etc.),
>> that can export graphics to PDF format, export the graphics inside a
>> page of size the current paper size. I just can't understand why this
>> is so, since who needs a graphics on a mostly blank page? Is it only
>> laziness from the software providers?
>
> In Illustrator at least, you can choose the size of the page to match
> or even crop the graphic; then the image, whether pdf or eps, will
> contain no extra white space.

If I understand you correctly, you mean defining a custom page size
manually for each graphic, matching the size of the graphic. I do not
consider this as an option; I was speaking of an automatic procedure
(possibly involving setting an option, or checking a checkbox), such
that the current graphic is saved as a separate file with bounding box
matching exactly the size of the graphic. The procedure that I
mentioned is not automatic (it involves dragging the EPS file onto
TeXShop), but at least it doesn't involve determining the bounding box
oneself then passing on this information manually to either Illustrator
or LaTeX.

Bruno Voisin