[OS X TeX] General LaTeX question: Float too large for page = ?

Guido Mocken mocken at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 25 12:48:25 EDT 2004

I have a very general question. What does the following warning
precisely mean?

"LaTeX Warning: Float too large for page by 25.28638pt on input line 91"

Obviously, it means that a float is too large, I can see that ... the
warning goes away when I make the corresponding figure somewhat
smaller. Shrinking the caption also helps, so it must be a vertical
margin problem. However, I can't see, which margin is the problem? 25pt
should be easily visible?! What does "for page" exactly mean?

My figures are usually like this:

\begin{figure}[ht]
	\begin{center}
		\includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{image}
		\caption{Fairly long caption.}
		\label{fig:image}
	\end{center}
\end{figure}

I don't want to reduce the width to anything lower than 1.0\textwidth,
because the overall look is best this way. But I would like to get rid
of these warnings, because having too many unimportant warnings makes
you miss the few important ones.

	Guido