[OS X TeX] Default A4 page size in pdflatex/TeXShop combo

Heath Raftery hraftery at myrealbox.com
Tue Jun 29 02:53:22 EDT 2004

Hi list,

I've been unsubscribed for some time, so I hope I don't cover old
ground here. I couldn't find the answer in the archives or FAQ, and am
not familiar enough yet with the flow of pdflatex, dvips etc. and their
various configuration files when using TeXShop to hope to parse the
more general newsgroup threads.

My problem is that despite setting A4 as the default page size during
the installation and configure of TeX with i-Installer, invoking the
LaTeX command in TeXShop produces US Letter PDFs. I re-ran the install
and configure scripts in i-Installer just to make sure, under a
suggestion I saw posted elsewhere.

If I add a4paper to the documentclass at the top of my document, I get
A4 output. I would like that to be the default so I don't have to
remember to do for every document I create. Perhaps it would be better
style to include that command anyway?

If it makes any difference, these three files:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg

all contain:
page_width 210 true mm
page_height 297 true mm

which sounds like A4 to me. And since I'm not entirely sure which
applications are involved, here is the output of pdflatex --version and
dvips --version minus the copyright information:

% dvips --version
dvips(k) 5.94a
kpathsea version 3.5.2
% pdflatex --version
pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11b-2.1
kpathsea version 3.5.2

Of course, this is not a show stopper, since I can just provide the
a4paper option specifically, but my oversight caused a problem with an
assignment I submitted, so now I'm curious as to the solution.

Regards,
Heath