[OS X TeX] Utopia fonts

Alan Curtis acurtis at ieee.org
Wed Mar 24 11:57:31 EST 2004

MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu
On Mar 24, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:

> 	I have been using the utopia/fourier/courier font combo in most of my
> LaTeX documents for some time now, and really like the way they look,
> especially on screen.  I now want to make a Keynote presentation for
> one of my papers, but I don't currently have Utopia as one of my Mac
> fonts.  I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding the following
>
> 	1. Convert the LaTeX utopia font to a Mac font using one of the
> available font tools.  (pfaedit?)  Is this feasible?  Legal?

This is what I did to produce Mac fonts. It assumes a gwtex
installation and pfadit (both from i-Installer).

mkdir utopia
cd utopia
cp /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts/type1/adobe/utopia/*
cp /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts//adobe/utopia/*

then make a text file with the following

Open("putr8a.pfb", 1)
Generate("Utopia-Regular.otf.dfont","",16)
Open("putb8a.pfb", 1)
Generate("Utopia-Bold.otf.dfont","",16)
Open("putri8a.pfb", 1)
Generate("Utopia-Italic.otf.dfont","",16)
Open("putbi8a.pfb", 1)
Generate("Utopia-BoldItalic.otf.dfont","",16)

save this as u.pe

then type

pfaedit -script u.pe

then you should have some fonts in your directory

Utopia-Bold.otf.dfont
Utopia-BoldItalic.otf.dfont
Utopia-Italic.otf.dfont
Utopia-Regular.otf.dfont

so

cp *.dfont ~/Library/Fonts

and it should work.

I did this in on my machine running OS 10.2.8 and it worked fine. I was
able to use the fonts in TextEdit and in Keynote.

HOWEVER. I also did it on my machine running OS 10.3.3 and the fonts
worked in TextEdit but caused Keynote to crash. I am not a font expert
so don't know why. Perhaps some of the font gurus here can help.

Alan