[OS X TeX] TeX is not for the faint of heart

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Tue May 4 09:12:58 EDT 2004

I did "read" it. (I believe it is your page.) Twice.
The first time was /at the very beginning/ of my "quest" and it did not
make much /practical/ sense to me. For instance:

    TeX is a typesetting language. /Yeah, but I want to /write!
    Instead of visually formatting your text, you type your text
    combined with commands in a plain text file. etc. /That much I know./
    /.../
    These macros make life easy for you. /I suppose, all is relative .../

The example that follows was quite intimidating.

    After running the TeX program on that source ... I /am supposed to
    run a program?/

As indeed you yourself, acknowledge:

    The above may seem complicated. But ...

Then, here comes the real blow:

    So, to use TeX you need basically 4 things:

        * An editor to edit plain text (enter your text and your TeX
          commands)
        * The TeX programs for your platform (binaries and scripts)
        * A TeX foundation collection (macro's, formats, fonts, etc.)
        * A way to view the result

/Look, I don't give a damn about beauty, if MS Word was not so bad and
even so if I could stay with it I would./

Joking apart, all your explanations are very good but not for "the rest
of us". Consider the chilling effect of the next paragraph:

    TeX normally produces device independent DVI file format from the
    ASCII TeX source. To view or print DVI, the device independent data
    needs to be translated to a device. For instance an X11 or Windows
    user interface, or a PostScript or Laserjet printer. Sometimes, the
    users have to produce a printer format first (like PostScript),
    which then again is rendered on the screen by a PostScript viewer
    (like GhostView).

The second time I read it was when I was trying to figure out what had
happened to the rtf2latex2e converter that I had i-installed. By the
way, I hate to say it here, out of desperation, I even sent you an email.

So, again, now that I see the magnitude of it all, I thank you for
having done the i-Installer but, forgive me for saying so, I hope to see
the day when it will cease to be /necessary/.

Regards
--schremmer