[OS X TeX] Various TeX programs on Mac

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Fri May 7 00:56:39 EDT 2004

Okay, so the matter of impartiality has come up. I must admit I have
only used Gerben's distribution on Mac OS X and MikTeX on Windows, and
for editing I've used TeXShop and iTeXMac a lot, tried out Alpha and I'm
meaning to get into Emacs.

Joe's comments imply that we should give all new users the option of
every possible program and let them make up their own mind. It is very
true that TeXShop is advertised a lot more (on this list) than any of
the other programs and many comments appear to be biased towards it.

Can anyone with experience with every TeX distribution and editor give
their opinion of how new users should be advised? If OzTeX et al. are
indeed so easy to use, why has everyone latched onto i-Installer & TeXShop?

I suppose it all comes down to a single question from me: Does anyone
think I'm being unfair by writing a webpage that says ``If you want to
use TeX on Mac, the easiest way is to get TeXShop''?

THanks
Will