[OS X TeX] Various TeX programs on Mac

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sat May 8 09:32:27 EDT 2004

Since "the exception confirms the rule" (bad translation of "l'exception
confirme la règle"), I will make an exception to my rule of
non-interference and give a few more detail about my experience because
some of it at least seems to be relevant to what is being attempted here
and might clarify things.

I knew what TeX did (I had "skimmed" Knuth's TeX and Metafont at least
ten years ago)
I knew, from asking/talking around, that the learning curve would be steep.
I knew that, being Open Source, TeX was likely to come in many shapes
and flavors.
I was less interested in the tool than in what I was going to use the
tool for.
I am not a complete idiot.

Once I found I /had/ to take the plunge, I was faced with:

The decision of which TeX to go with.
    But, in order to decide, I had the problem of not knowing the
language in which descriptions of the various implementations of TeX
were given.
So, I had to look for some literature on TeX.
    But what I could find was either on the beauties of TeX (of which I
was already convinced) and/or on how to use TeX.

After having found Slater's page, I knew this was the starting point.
But I had a terrible time understanding it. I even wrote to Slater
remarking about it. He very graciously admitted that he had forgotten
how bad it could be for a raw beginner. (Not his exact words.) I even
starting to "rewrite" his page in order to understanding it. This is my
standard MO in mathematics.

After having rewritten the first section, and on the basis of what (I
thought) I understood, I tried to install iTeXMac but, for whatever
reason, didn't make it. (Somewhere along the line, I think that I tried
to use Fink.)

At this point, I looked for the TeXshop page and, as I have mentioned
before, and thanks to the i-Installer, I was able to get an
"application" that I could open. /That/ phase was short and sweet.

Now I am facing the "steep learning curve" for /using/ TeX but that's
OK. This is something I know I can handle.

Well, I think that it is steeper than it ought to be—see my previous
suggestions but it is not frustrating. (After all, I used to have to use
MS Word's "command lines" before they finally got replaced by a version
of MathType.) And of course there are tutorials and people I can ask a
pointed question. The difference is that now I am at a stage where I can
at least formulate the question.

So, again thanks for:

(a) bailing me out a couple of times in my learning of how to use TeX
and even on the use of the Refresh/Reload button.
(b) addressing the issues the idiot-install I am had, per force, to face
alone.

Regards
--schremmer