Re: [OS X TeX] how to get the ï character ?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Wed May 12 13:48:52 EDT 2004

	Recently I realized TeXShop has problems entering some vocals with the
dieresis  ¨ on top, at least in my setup which uses the ISO Latin 1
file encoding by default and the \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} option
in every file I edit. Whenever I want to enter ä, ö or ü (using the
U.S. Keyboard layout, since Spanish - ISO does not have that diacritic
accent), TeXShop replaces my input with ¨\"a and so for the other two.
This does not happen, however, with the other vocals, which are
directly accepted as expected.

	I suspect this is a small bug in TeXShop and that's why I Cc Richard
here. Lets hope we can see a fix for it in next release, or an
explanation in the other case. Regards,...

		Juan

PS: Needless to say, ¨\"a is a bad replacement in any case, because it
yields a solitary dieresis followed by the proper vocal with the
dieresis on top. A proper one, should the direct input be impossible
for any reason (hardly the likelihood!), would simply be \"a.