[OS X TeX] XEmacs and teTeX: problem with PATH and XEmacs packages

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun May 23 15:58:14 EDT 2004

Julia Brueck wrote:
[]
> Question 1:
> There are packages for the XEmacs for LaTeX-syntax-highlighting, I heared.

Chances are that you have them installed already. You just need to
switch them on in your init.el file. You do have such a file in
~/.xemacs/, don't you? If not, create it and put the two lines in it:

  (require 'tex-site)
  (require 'font-lock)

For more info on the font-lock-mode (= syntax highlighting), look at the
sample init.el file in the Help->Samples menu. You can also switch on
syntax highlighting from the Options menu and then save options.

> How can I install them? There seems to be a problem with XEmacs not
> finding the teTex (it is installed in \usr\local\teTeX).

If your PATH is set correctly, XEmacs should find the tex binaries
automatically.

> Question 2:
> I did not manage to permanently change the PATH variable to include
> /sw/bin so that I can start XEmacs without first typing export  PATH=...
> I changed the .profile in my /Users/*me* and I changed profile in /etc.
> Still whenever I restart the bash, the computer cannot find the XEmacs in
> \sw\bin. (Sorry, I know this is a more UNIX-related question)

You shouldn't change /etc/profile yourself, and you shouldn't need to
change ~/.profile, either. During installation, both GWtex and Fink put
PATH-setting code into your startup scripts so that the PATH is correct
when you use your bash shell in a Terminal.app window.

If you are using an xterm window for your command line interface, you
have to do something yourself, but I would recommend to avoid xterm.
Otherwise, the necessary manipulations are described in the Fink FAQ, as
well as (hundreds of times) in the Apple X11-users mailing list archives
and in the archives of the Fink mailing lists.

--
Martin