[OS X TeX] set environment variables for applications

Peter Cholak Peter.Cholak.1 at nd.edu
Tue May 25 12:50:07 EDT 2004

Thanks for the suggestion of ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist and others.  I
see that Enrico already uses this.  I agreed it would be nice not to
have to alter this file but I currently see no other way to port some
of the software that existed long before Mac OS X.  Perhaps someone
will write a wrapper program that allows those variables to be set for
each process/program.   There is no way anyone can go though emacs can
remove all the calls which use those variables.

For example consider tex and kpsepath. kpsepath is not yet 10 years
old.  kpsepath clearly is a great idea but there are few packages which
have not yet changed. It is kpsepath which allows GW's tex to search
for files without setting variables.

As for the variable I want to set: TEXBIB is a nonstandard variable.  I
have never seen this variable used in any tex installation.  It can
changed to anything. It should not infer with tex.

-Peter