[OS X TeX] XY plots (probably OT)

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Tue May 25 16:52:28 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 12:26 PM, Thomas Schröder wrote:
> So, these are some of the features I'd like:
>
> - handling of big data files (10-12 columns, >10000 lines)
> - support for 4 Y axes
> - good output quality
> - direct output of EPS and/or PDF
> - decent support for user defined diagram types
> - some basic math support (greek symbols, fractions, subscripts and
> superscripts)
> - support for Lucida Bright and maybe Latin Modern fonts

You might want to check out R <http://www.r-project.org/>. It is a free
version of the widely used statistical modeling language S, which has
extensive documentation online and in excellent books and many
contributed packages. R graphics are very powerful and come with a wide
variety of predefined formats. The prepackaged Mac OS X version is here
<http://www.cran.mirrors.pair.com/bin/macosx/>, and is being actively
developed. For an excellent book to R/S, check out
<http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS4/>.

-- F