Please no: [OS X TeX] set environment variables forapplications

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Wed May 26 03:53:00 EDT 2004

On May 26, 2004, at 05:29, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>> Even if it were possible to set it per application, I would prefer
>> setting $PATH for them generally. Otherwise, it would be difficult to
>> keep the consistency.
>
> Yes. But suppose you add /sw/bin to the start of your PATH and as a
> result a different version of a command is used and your application
> which uses a subprocess that now suddenly fails. And how do you know
> why?

I know. Why not? It's me who configured my environment.plist. And it is
just because I want to avoid such an unexpected result that I have set
$PATH in an appropriate order and done testings.

> It is not only PATH. If someone sets TEXMFMAIN because some app wants
> that and suddenly TeX starts behaving different (failing) during
> configuration. People then write me.

Is it a real example? Of course, you can ask your users not to set or
change such and such variables globally.

Kino