[OS X TeX] Awkward interaction between TeXShop and CVS

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu May 27 10:32:12 EDT 2004

On 27 May, 2004, at 09:17, Fernando Pereira wrote:

>> Not really; you can use `cvs status` or `cvs -n update` to see if the
>> file has been modified, then update or commit based on that.  This is
>> what CVL and Xcode use.
>
> Thanks for the correction. Maybe my problem with CVL/TeXShop
> interactions is that I have always been doing a full update before
> committing because I didn't realize that CVL did what you describe.

CVL is confusing at first (maybe at second, too :).  If you open a Work
Area in CVL (i.e. some directory that is under CVS control), it will
give you status on all the items in its column view.  A + means that
it's only locally modified (commit is safe), a triangle means that you
need to merge changes (update/commit or merge), and a - means that the
remote file differs and is unmodified by you.

If you use the Inspector, you can see the status, log messages, and
diffs for a file selected in the column view; the checkboxes in the
column view allow you to specify what files you see.  Oh, and
control-clicking on items in the column view exposes all the regular
cvs commands.

HTH,
Adam