[OS X TeX] ideal PDF viewer requestion (background auto-update)

David Wooten wooten at berkeley.edu
Sun May 30 19:47:08 EDT 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004 10:14:11, Bob Kersetter wrote:

> On May 29, 2004, at 1:21 AM, Kino wrote:
>
>> On May 29, 2004, at 06:51, David Wooten wrote:
>>
>>> iTeXMac does  have the ability to auto-update the pdf file, but
>>> apparently only does so when it is the front application -- this I
>>> have to switch from X11 to iTM and back again. This is petty I know
>>> -- but very frustrating!
>>
>> I may misunderstand you, but TeXShop seems to have the feature you
>> needs. Open its Preferences => Preview and check Automatic Preview
>> Update. IIRC the change will take effect only when you relaunch
>> TeXShop. Its PDF Viewer goes frontmost automatically when the pdf has
>> been updated. Is this not desirable for you?
>
> Also, the TeXShop previewer shows single, side-by-side and multiple
> pages. You can select if you want the odd or even page to be on the
> left.
>
> You can find details in the TeXShop online help by searching for
> "external editor" and "hidden preferences" (some of the options are set
> using the terminal).

Yes, thanks very much for the information -- this is one step closer to
what I am pining for. Apparently I hadn't checked TeXShop out in quite
a while. There is however one subtle detail that is really quite
desirable -- that TeXShop upon auto-updating would remain in the
background so I (or anyone else, naturally;) wouldn't have to switch
applications to return to the editor. Any suggestions on this point?