[OS X TeX] Re: textools --fixtexmftrees : parse error !

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 4 07:25:03 EST 2004

On 4 nov 2004, at 12:54, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> In .tcshrc you should use
>
> set path=($path /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
> /usr/local/bin ...)

Well, no, you shouldn't. Don't get me wrong: if you _were_ to add
certain paths to your search path, this is the correct way to do it
when your shell is tcsh. _But_ if you install TeX with i-Installer
(like the path above suggests), this path is _already_ added to the
global definitions, and you should not add it to your path variable
again. The same is true for bash: a correct and full install will add
it to the global definitions.

> In Mac OS X you could use locate to find a file on the system. All you
> need to do is to run as super-user /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb ('sudo
> /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb', there is no need to add /usr/libexec to
> your search path). "locate texexec" as average user then will give you
> a list of pathnames that contain the string 'texexec' -- which
> sometimes can be too much. Both!

These commands are part of the cron maintenance scripts: the commands
"sudo periodic daily", "sudo periodic weekly" and "sudo periodic
monthly" are automatically run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to
keep your system in a healthy state. However, if your computer is off
at the moment these scripts normally run (3:15 in the morning for
daily, 4:30 in the morning on Saturday for weekly and 5:30 in the
morning on the first day of the month for monthly), they will not be
executed. With the above commands, you can fix that - and you should to
keep the unix side of your machine absolutely happy. The
locate.updatedb command is part of the weekly script.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>