[OS X TeX] warning: pdflatex: cannot open type 1 font file for reading

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Nov 5 15:50:02 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:45:31PM +0200, Samuel Lelievre wrote:
> Trying to include some pages of the following file with pdfpages,
> http://people.uleth.ca/%7Edave.morris/lectures/Ratner/Ratner-v1-0.pdf
> I get the warnings below, and useless font replacements in the output.
>
> Is this easy to cure? Should I add some \usepackage declaration?
> Install fonts? (are they free?)
>
> Similar questions have been asked on this list but after reading
> the list archive on these topics I still have not been able to
> solve my problem; hoping some of you will find it easier than I do,
> I decided to post my question.
>
> Samuel

This may be because those fonts are present in the to-be-included
document and referenced by the mapfile, but not present on the
system. If they hadn't been mentioned in the mapfile, pdftex would
have been content to leave them alone.

Try regenerating the mapfiles with updmap without those fonts. You
can control the inclusion of font references in map files either
by texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg or by command-line parameters.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>