[OS X TeX] Any experience using Metafun's makempy script?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Nov 5 18:50:12 EST 2004

Am 05.11.2004 um 14:14 schrieb Martin Buchmann:

>> sh: line 1: acroread: command not found
>>     processing aborted : invalid `acroread' run
>
> I've installed Adobe Reader 6.0 but there is nothing like a acroread
> command. Do i have to create an alias for bash? Has anyone experience
> using this script?

You could easily install a little shell script by the name acrobat or
acroread (or reader) either in ~/bin or in /usr/local/bin that contains
a header line like

	#!/bin/tcsh -f
or
	#!/bin/sh

and then one line that invokes the application you wish to do the job.
For example:

1. open -a "TeXShop 1.35e.app" "$1"
2. open -a "Adobe Reader 6.0.2.app" "$1"
3. open -a "Acrobat Reader 5.1.app" "$1"
4. open -a Preview.app "$1"

These are the names under which *I* installed the applications in
/Applications resp. in /Applications/Adobe Reader 6.0. To read/display
a PDF file these scripts work fine. The UNIX/Linux CLI acrobat
understands some more options, for example to convert the file format,
from PDF to PS as makempy needs it. This can't be done in Mac OS X
because open (or launch) cannot pass parameters -- all they can pass
are file arguments! And Acrobat Reader or Adobe Reader are not
AppleScriptable.

All that's left for us is a recent version of Ghostscript. The other
way round we have at least (/usr/bin/)pstopdf!
--
Greetings

   Pete

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>