[OS X TeX] installer problems with Greek fonths

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Nov 6 11:56:00 EST 2004

Am 06.11.2004 um 01:47 schrieb Jason Davies:

> excuse my brevity - I have a hand injury and typing is very slow. have
> been trying to install lgreek and teubner
> <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/teubner/?
> preferredCTAN=ctan.unsw.edu.au&action=/tex-archive/macros/latex/
> contrib/
>> and cannot do it so TechShop can see them. Have followed all
> instructions I can find to no avail. have put them in
> ....texmf.tetex/tex/latex and set permissions to match other folders
> but
> TS cannot find them. simple idiot-proof instructions grahefully
> received.

Hello Jason!

....texmf.tetex/ is the wrong tree! All your local additions go to
....texmf.local/. In case of an upgrade you might lose the
....texmf.tetex/ tree with all your valuable additions.
....texmf.local/ is saved for future use (on your risk).

Whenever you change something in the tex trees you *have* to run 'sudo
texhash'! When this is done you simply can try out kpsewhich whether it
finds your additions. kpsewhich uses the same search engine as TeX
does, so if kpsewhich fails, TeX fails too, and if kpsewhich succeeds
then TeX should have success too. The most simple thing is in Terminal:

prompt> kpsewhich teubner.sty

Should give something like:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/teubner/teubner.sty

To achieve this I downloaded teubner.ins and teubner.dtx and started:

latex teubner.ins
sudo mkdir /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/teubner
sudo mv teubner.sty /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/teubner
sudo texhash

Then I tried to get the PostScript fonts, as mentioned in the readme
file, teubner.txt. I had no luck with CTAN but I found them on my TeX
Live 2003 DVD. To make use of the fonts you need at least three things:
the actual font programme files (gmtr*.pfb), their TeX Metrics Files
(gmtr*.tfm) (sometimes accompanied by Virtual Font descriptions, *.vf,
or a font driver file, *.fd, but not for gmtr) -- and a map file for
dvips, dvipdfm, pdftex.

So I continued:

sudo cp -R /Volumes/DVD/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cb
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/tfm/
sudo cp -R /Volumes/DVD/texmf/fonts/type1/public/cb
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/public/

(All the files are quite recent, April 2002. cbgreek.txt is one year
older.) Then I located that special.map -- it's in the texmf.tetex
tree, not the best place for a local addition! And this file is for
some 'Sauter tools' I actually don't know their purpose. So I decided

sudo vi
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/cbgreek.map

Then I realized how many files belong to cbgreek and changed to GNU
Emacs. With some magic on the shell and some other in Emacs I could
think of a map file. The last problem was: what is the actual font name
by which TeX identifies/requests characters to fill in the boxes? With
an invalid cbgreek.map I did

sudo texhash
sudo updmap --enable Map cbgreek.map

Now I could pdflatex teubner-doc.tex -- with errors, as I wished.
Metafont was invoked to create some PK files, but this gave me a hint
to the font names needed. Now I could finish cbgreek.map. Since it was
before invalid I had to

sudo updmap

Now I could pdflatex teubner-doc.tex and I saw some lower case and much
more lower case Greek accented letters! I can't tell whether it's
correct, that I leave for your shoulders.

I found a problem in grml1000.pfb, Created by Apostolos Syropoulos with
PfaEdit 1.0: the FontName is Untitled1. I changed the name to
TeX-grml1000. During the first correct run of pdflatex this error was
reported:

....</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/public/
cb/grml1000.pfb
Error: pdflatex (file
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/public/cb/
grml1000.pfb): invalid marker
  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

So I had to undo my former change in the PFB file.

To finish this work (of excellence):
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/cbgreek.map
is approximately 32 KB in size, too big to attach it here. I'll send it
you in a different email.

If my map file is correct and works please ask Gerben whether he can
use it and put it into CTAN too!

--
Greetings

   Pete