[OS X TeX] More pronounced margin kerning in TL 2004?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 8 11:01:44 EST 2004

Hello,

Is it just me, or has the effect of margin kerning been intensified in
the version of pdfTeX shipped with TL2004? I think there has been on
this list a message mentioning this, at the time TL2004 was released,
but I can't find it.

I usually get margin kerning in LaTeX with:

   \input{protcode}
   \newcommand{\setupfont}{
     \setprotcode\font}
   \newcommand{\setupfam}{
     \setupfont
     {\itshape\setupfont}
     {\bfseries\setupfont}
     {\itshape\bfseries\setupfont}
     {\scshape\setupfont}}
   \AtBeginDocument{
     \setupfam
     {\LARGE\setupfam}
     {\large\setupfam}
     {\small\setupfam}
     {\footnotesize\setupfam}
     {\indexsize\setupfam}}
   \pdfprotrudechars=2

(I haven't started experimenting with pdfcprot or microtype yet). But
using the above I now have the impression, after moving to TL2004, that
punctuation signs and hyphens protrude more in the right margin than
they did before. Is it just an illusion?

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>