[OS X TeX] typesetting engines in TeXShop

Tom Koornwinder thk at science.uva.nl
Wed Nov 10 03:45:22 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 Jerome Laurens wrote:
> Le 9 nov. 04, 09:32, Tom Koornwinder a ecrit :
>
> > [...]
> > 2. Arrange TeXShop in such a way that whenever some program is called
> > in
> > /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
> > then it is automatically checked if
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c
> > contains a format (.fmt) file for that program, and if so, then this
> > format is used.
>
> in other words, you want the configuration choose what format should be
> used:-/
>
> What about retrieving this information from the source document itself
> and then use the appropriate format or create it if missing?

Let me clarify my point (the point of view of a non-sophisticated
TeXShop user).
During configuring of the TeX package with I-Installer, the user may have
given some preferences, which lead to the creation of certain format files
in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c
When this user is next working in TeXShop then it is strange and annoying that
TeXShop is not immediately using the information from these newly
created format files, but instead the information from the applications in
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
which are just files installed by I-Installer, not taking care of
user's preferences given during configuration.

		Tom Koornwinder
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>