[OS X TeX] Microtype & phv

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 11 12:50:30 EST 2004

Howdy,

I've been using the microtype package with Lucida Bright and it seems to do
an admirable job with the simple call \usepackage{microtype} which enables
both protrusion (margin kerning) and expansion.

I also use several other fonts (Fourier/Utopia, Charter, Palatino and even
Times once in a while and use Helvetica from the helvet package with
appropriate scaling for the Sans Serif Font. Unfortunately as long as I have
expansion enabled I get multiple cryptic messages saying

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex: font
phvr8
r cannot be expanded (not an included Type1 font)

which are somewhat meaningless to me. Then pdftex tries, unsuccessfully of
course, to build bitmapped fonts from phvr8.

Does anyone on the list understand how to deal with this? I suspect that it
has to do with the Helvetica being used as the Sans Serif Font rather than
the Normal Font but I'm certainly not sure of that.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>