[OS X TeX] bibliographystyle question

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Sat Nov 13 15:15:15 EST 2004

\opening{sorry if this is a 101er}

I'm preparing an article (with LaTeX using BBEdit and BibDesk) that has a LOT of long citation "chains". I want numerical citations in parenthesis and in order of citation appearance (the specifics of the formatting in the bibliography are not critical), so my options from the 32 .bst files I have installed seem to be:

        unsrt
        plunsrt
        apalike
        ieeetr

but none of these produce exactly what I want in terms of citation formatting. I'm using e.g.:

        \bibliographystyle{unsrt}
        \renewcommand{\refname}{Literature}
\bibliography{myBibfile}

and I get output like this:

[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,11,12,13,19,23,29]

what I would like is:

[1-7,11-13,19,23,29]

Is there a .bst/.sty or a mod of a "standard" .bst for this ?

If not, I imagine (perhaps naively), that I'll have to get involved with makebst.tex (maybe operating on merlin.mbs) ? This is completely unchartered territory for me.

Or maybe there is something in TeX that one can run to "post-process" e.g.

        <initial steps>
        bibtex
        latex
        latex