[OS X TeX] written in LaTeX - and thanks

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 14 17:37:36 EST 2004

Hi All -
It would be useful to have a mechanism for discovering who
is working on projects that have strong points of contact with
one's own.

I'm senior author of the (2003) book:
http://titles.cambridge.org/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521813360
(see also http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~johnm/r-book.html)
We're currently working on the second edition.

Most of this was done using emacs under Solaris.  I have
for a long time used OS X, still with Franconi's emacs
enhancements (which seem to work fine with the latest build
- 21.5.50.1- for which binaries are available from e.g.
http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/emacs.html )
but occasionally using TeXshop.

A fairly major issue was (is!) the handling of computer code
(for the R system).  We needed (need!) a ready mechanism
for extracting the code for separate testing.  With the help of
the fancyvrb package, we defined four verbatim environments
corresponding to the four different ways that they would need
to be handled by the code extractor software.  A colleague
wrote the first draft of the code extractor program for me in
Python.  At some time I'll probably convert it to R, so that I can
more easily adapt it further.

Sweave (based on noweb) might now be used, but while
it is fine for manuscripts of modest size does not allow the
fine control that we need for the book.  Also comments,
vital for our purposes, disappear because all code is
processed through the parser.  Comments on other
possibilities will be welcome.

John Maindonald.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>