[OS X TeX] Paragraph Spacing

George Ghio ghiog at netconnect.com.au
Sun Nov 14 17:53:48 EST 2004

\paragraph{}He walks the road. Him and his dog. Most often, during the
half
moon, at that time of day where dusk becomes full dark in the blink of
an eye. He
can be seen leaving an empty block at the south end of town. He walks
north east up the main street and out of town. Just him and his dog.
People
have said that if you listen carefully you can hear him talking to
himself or
to the dog. Well, that's what they say. His clothes are of an older
time, his shirt and pants of a coarse material and boots of the
hob-nail variety
that give a faint metallic sound on the pavement.
\paragraph{}When he goes by people turn away and shut their doors. He
is a
part of the town they don't want to know about.
\paragraph{}I first met Jack on one of those nights with broken cloud
scudding
past on the wind. I had just left a friends house and was going home. I
came
around the corner and there he was. Right in the middle of the road.
Hell! He
was right in front of me. I swerved and hit the brakes. It was too
little
too late. I went right over him. I sat there clutching the wheel
shaking. When
I looked up I saw Jack and his dog walking up the road. Cloud passed
across
the moon and he disappeared.
\paragraph{}I must have sat there for an hour before I stopped shaking
enough
to drive home. It took me thirty minutes to drive the eight kilometres
to my
place.

This yields;

[...]

How do I close up the gaps? I have used <\setlength{\parskip}{-3.5ex}>
which is less than satisfactory in that the spacing is not quite
consistent
  across the document.

Thank you for your time.

George