[OS X TeX] Re: Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon Nov 15 08:23:23 EST 2004

On Nov 14, 2004, at 11:49 PM, david craig wrote:

>> Is a "normal" user generally capable to use  LaTeX?
>
> As you describe a "normal" user, I think the answer is a categorical
> "no".  (Well ... "capable", typically yes; "willing" probably not.
> Nor does it strike me as an especially good idea.  What's the payoff
> for the effort?)
>
> What would be the point, really?  Such users already have tools that
> serve them perfectly well, whatever their limitations for our crowd.
> TeX is for people who need the level of control that it offers,
> especially vis a vis mathematics.

I would also argue (and I often do to students and colleagues) that one
of the advantages of TeX is the stability and lack of frustrating bugs.
I have written many papers (containing numerous figures and equations)
in Word and its strange behavior and bugs (they may be features, but
you will never convince me of that) made me pull my hair out (look at
my picture on my web page and you will see). While TeX is not trivial
to learn, its consistent behavior more than makes up for it.

All the best,

-- Gary

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>