[OS X TeX] Re: Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 11:59:22 EST 2004

(1) I agree with the stability issue: there was a version of Word I
could crash on demand by, among other ways which I have forgotten,
adjusting margins in tables. And then there was the infamous "long
document". And the no less infamous "text boxes".

A lot more seriously: I had a certain amount of stuff in Word 3 and ff
that I didn't think I would ever need and thus didn't resave in later
versions of Word. But then, never say never and now, some fifteen to ten
years later, some I can open only in text, which at least gives me a
chance of getting an idea of what I had written, but some I can't even
open which leaves me with the paralyis familiar to all those who have
lost a manuscript. If only for /this/ reason, I don't regret the great
initial pain I had switching to LaTeX.

(2) For me, the infamous learning curve tapered off sharply as soon as I
had found and "mastered" the half a dozen packages or so I needed for
the text I am writing: including graphics, multirow (tables with "merged
cells"), paralist because of asparaenum,  some particular fonts (e.g.
condensed), cancel to slash across text, and a couple more things. Now,
most of what I do consists in Copy-Paste-Modify a bit.

However, I must say that, beyond "the" two books, having human help,
which I got both on this list and from John Peterson, the editor of the
AMATYC News, proved invaluable, not least for what appeared infinite
patience.

(3) This being said, I remain convinced that TeXshop and, probably,
i-Installer, to both of which I am immensely indebted as, without them,
I would have never made the transition from Word to LaTeX, could be made
a lot more user-friendly to people totally innocent of anything but
Word. This need not be an either/or matter. I don't see for instance,
that a version of TeXshop couldn't be offered whose user interface could
be a lot more like Word's. (I doubt Gates would sue.) Eventually, should
one wish, one could then move to the "regular" TeXshop to avail oneself
of the flexibility required by, at least, the LaTeX veterans. And then,
maybe to even more flexible and powerful ones. As for myself, and as I
think would be the case for most of the newcomers of a new kind, TeXshop
is already more than I will ever need.

Note in this respect a difference between Word and TeXshop and, I
suspect all other LaTeXes: I probably didn't use 10% of Word's power but
the other 90% was there and, in fact, not always easy to ignore. In
TeXshop, while I probably use at most 25% of its intrinsic power as an
"editor", since the real power and resulting complexity of LaTeX resides
in packages that I can choose either to "i-Install" or not, I am not
bothered by stuff I can't use and/or don't want.

Unfortunately, I am not able to create such a version and being in the
business of helping people learn mathematics, I recognize in both the
mathematical and the LaTeX community the same attitude among those who
can: Hey, just let "them" suffer through it, Mathematics/LaTeX is not
for the faint of heart.

With the same result: While most people could learn mathematics up to
and including differential calculus, the mathematics of change, the
first point at which mathematics is really "descriptive"--in that it
allows to write differential equations, only about one quarter of one
percent of the many who attempt arithmetic in two-year colleges pass
Calculus I.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>