[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Nov 15 16:44:48 EST 2004

On 15 Nov 2004, at 22:34, Jan Eden wrote:

> The most common type of a normal user even refuses to use a Mac, since
> the learning curve is too steep. Many people tend to stick with
> whatever system they got to know the first time they encountered
> computers.
>
> And this is, unfortunately, Microsoft Word on a computer running the
> Microsoft Windows OS.
>
> I was able to convince two of my colleagues to try LaTeX, and I got
> another one to switch to the Mac - but the other 95% firmly insist
> that Word is the best solution for them.
>
> You cannot make LaTeX (or any other advanced typesetting system)
> simple enough to convert the normal users you seem to refer to.

This is indeed a generic point. I noticed too that Mac users were very
negative about the change to Mac OS X. I recall users using the
debugging mode of Wordperfect all the time and claiming that it was a
better word processor because they coulod debug the code of the
document. Whereas I though that the need to do debugging suggested that
it was a worse word processor.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>