[OS X TeX] What's in a page number?

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Nov 15 18:57:53 EST 2004

On 16 Nov 2004, at 6:04 AM, Herb Schulz wrote:

> On 11/15/04 1:20 PM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> It would be very nice if one could set the page number in the menu bar
>> of TeXshop's pdf window to be the same as that assigned by LaTeX. It
>> would make navigation via the table of contents easier. Maybe a toggle
>> switch?
>
> I wonder how hard that would be since the page numbering can get very
> complicated in the pdf file.

DVI viewers can do it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do it in PDF,
just that no-one has. In fact, the hyperref package has the following
option:

    plainpages: (default is true)
       Forces page anchors to be named by the arabic form
       of the page number, rather than the formatted form.

Seems to me this would be related to the problem at hand.

> However... If the TeXShop previewer worked with hyperlinks, a la
> Preview and
> Adobe Reader, you could just use the hyperref package and click on the
> page
> in the toc. Does anything in the frameworks do that now?

That will come for sure in Mac OS X 10.4. Preview's functionality
hasn't yet been implemented as a framework.

Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>