[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Nov 16 03:50:43 EST 2004

Le 16 nov. 04, à 09:05, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> I think a better GUI WYSIWYG word processor could be done. It could
> even be partly based on some TeX algorithms. But for instance, try to
> imagine building formula's in this WYSIWYS editor. How do you put in
> conceptual things? Because if you don't, you lose the power of the
> typesetting engine below.

 From what I understood from Hans Hagen's introduction to MathML
<http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mmlprime.pdf>, I got the
impression plain TeX and LaTeX, due to their essentially visual
approach to formulas, can't provide the conceptual approach necessary
for building a WYSIWYG formula editor, and that MathML is the only way
forward. Or, possibly, ConTeXt interface to MathML.

But in any case the output of such editor would not provide the
typographical quality that TeX can offer. Quoting Hans Hagen:

"The TEXbook: Once you have read this book, you will see why MathML is
not embraced
by those who love to optimize the look and feel of their math formulas.
Although your
documents will be more consistent when you code in (content) MathML,
you also loose
many fine points of math typesetting. Of course you can always fall
back on the annotation
element. This book is written by Donald Knuth and published by Addison
Wesley."

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>