[OS X TeX] microtype problem

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 16 13:10:54 EST 2004

On 11/16/04 11:59 AM, "Gary L. Gray" <gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

> The microtype package has stopped working for me on one of my
> documents. Something has changed in my setup and I can't figure out
> what it is since it does work in other documents on my system. Here is
> what I am getting in the console for the problematic document:
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd)
>
> Package microtype Warning: \rmdefault has changed (`cmr' <> `lmr')!
> (microtype)                This might affect the `basictext' font set.
> (microtype)                Please make all relevant font changes
> *before*
> (microtype)                loading the `microtype' package.
>

> Package microtype Warning: \sfdefault has changed (`cmss' <> `lmss')!
> (microtype)                This might affect the `basictext' font set.
> (microtype)                Please make all relevant font changes
> *before*
> (microtype)                loading the `microtype' package.
>

> Package microtype Warning: \encodingdefault has changed (`OT1' <> `T1')!
> (microtype)                This might affect the `normalfont' font set.
> (microtype)                Please make all relevant font changes
> *before*
> (microtype)                loading the `microtype' package.
>

> Package microtype Warning: \familydefault has changed (`cmr' <> `lmr')!
> (microtype)                This might affect the `normalfont' font set.
> (microtype)                Please make all relevant font changes
> *before*
> (microtype)                loading the `microtype' package.
>

> Package microtype Warning: \rmdefault has changed (`cmr' <> `lmr')!
> (microtype)                This might affect the `basicmath' font set.
> (microtype)                Please make all relevant font changes
> *before*
> (microtype)                loading the `microtype' package.
>

> Package microtype Warning: \sfdefault has changed (`cmss' <> `lmss')!
> (microtype)                This might affect the `basicmath' font set.
> (microtype)                Please make all relevant font changes
> *before*
> (microtype)                loading the `microtype' package.
>

> Can someone provide some insight as to why this is happening? I am
> running the latest non-experimental TL 2004 stuff from Gerben.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -- Gary

Howdy,

You're probably loading the microtype package before the lmodern package.
Try switching the order. With microtype 1.4 the order isn't supposed to
matter (the paragraph about that in the Caveat section of the documentation
is no longer there) it seems the result is that you get these messages if
it's loaded before the font changing package AND it seems that exapnsion is
turned off.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>