[OS X TeX] Doh!

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Tue Nov 16 23:28:05 EST 2004

C'mon people.  LaTeX is as LaTeX is, as the quote below makes clear..
It's cool; it's fine.  For those who dig it.  And not, for those who
don't.  I have given up proselteyzing: I have done what I can do, and
it rarely works.  All of my students and former students (and those who
they have infected, in turn) use LaTeX.  A legacy of sorts (born of the
simple rule that no M$ Crapola is tolerated on my lab computers).  The
rest: don't.  They are not my concern.  As Washoe (the Chimpanzee) so
aptly observed, they are ``bugs''---beyond my (or Washoe's) ken.  So
what?  Leave them to M$ Absurd, and other equally laughable POS
applications.  Why would you (or we) care?  Yes, we all would like
LaTeX to be easier for the uninitiated.  And, no, it can't really get
any easier than it is and still be LaTeX (see LyX).  So, who cares?  If
they want M$ Absurd, so be it.  As a senior scientist, I demand at a
minimum a pdf (in correct APA format) before I review---not some POS M$
Absurd document that rarely translates anyway.  Otherwise, I don't
review.  Simple.  On the other side: a journal that refuses to review
my *perfectly APA formatted pdf* (via apa.cls) submission, never sees
my submissions again.  Again, simple.  You don't have to tolerate
shite, so don't.  Or not: it is your life.  Pick your battles.

--
John R. Vokey, PhD
Professor

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>