[OS X TeX] A modest proposal

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Nov 17 09:08:12 EST 2004

Le 17 nov. 04, à 14:40, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> (2) I am composing my messages in absolutely plain text with the very
> rare exception of italics. Not html, not mime, no nothing.

If you are using italics it's likely your message is sent in either
HTML format (using Mozilla or Thunderbird) or RTF format (using Apple
Mail). Plain text means really no formatting at all.

That said I haven't noticed HTML tags in your recent messages (but I
haven't watched closely). I think the problem is especially annoying
for people receiving the list messages in digest format, or looking at
the archives.

> (4) I am using Mozilla.
> (5) Please someone advise.

In Thunderbird you set up the sending format in two locations:

- On a per account basis. Select an account, go to Edit/Properties and
then, for each account, to Composition & Addressing. There, you have a
checkbox "Compose messages in HTML format" (checked by default, I
think). Uncheck it.

- On a recipient basis. Go to Thunderbird/Preferences/Composition, then
go to Send & HTML Options and click the button "Send Options".

In Mozilla the situation is practically the same:

- Identical for the per account setting.

- For the per recipient setting, go to Mozilla/Preferences/Mail &
Newsgroup/Send Format.

In Apple Mail go to Mail/Preferences/Composing, there is a scroll-down
Format menu with choices "Plain Text" and "Rich Text". Go for Plain.

HTH,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>