[OS X TeX] Adobe Type Basics

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Nov 17 10:07:57 EST 2004

On 11/17/04 5:37 AM, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> So Herb, please donŒt use the "download" named maps! If your printer is
> PostScript then you don't need to download any fonts to the printer,
> except those it has *not* built-in. If your printer is not PS then you
> should download the fonts from Adobe you recently installed and try to
> use in TeX -- and pass them to dvips because dvips is probably
> preparing the print job. PdfTeX uses it's own scheme to include thes
> base fonts into the PDF file, or not. Besides this your Mac needs the
> correct PPD (PostScript Printer Description) file for your printer. The
> earlier mentioned "*35" maps are old because the mechanism dvips uses
> to handle PostScript fonts in Tex is already 10 or 20 years old and
> nothing really new happened since then. The download maps are younger
> because urw++ donated them after dvips and TeX were already using the
> Adobe fonts (few of them were integrated into X11 or came with Acrobat
> Reader).

In general I'd prefer not including the Base35 (or whatever it's called) in
the pdf file since that just increases its size. Unfortunately, the pdftex
seems to need the fonts embeddded to be able to use its font expansion
option via the microtype package. The ability to stretch/shrink a font
slightly makes for really beautiful looking paragraphs with much less
hyphenation and a lovely even color with very few rivers; it's really
amazing but with the cost of size. That is what lead me to want to include
the Base35 fonts in the pdf.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>