[OS X TeX] Referring to arbitrary labels?

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Nov 18 12:37:47 EST 2004

Mohinish,

In my view the experiments need not be labelled consecutively from 1 to
n. Thus, I wouldn't introduce new counters, instead I would use

\section{Experiment: Nice test ...}\label{S:3} (If the section number
happens to be 3)

for experiments that fill a whole section

and

\begin{expt}\label{e:4.2}
\end{expt}

Notice, however, that this construction is clearly meant for relatively
short statements, not for material that spans a page or two. An
alternative would be

\subsection{E: Test of the ...}\label{E:..}

Then you can refer to these experiments as: As we have seen in Section
\ref{S:3}, resp.,  in Experiment \ref{e:4.2}, resp., the results of the
experiment in \ref{E:...}

The final choice is of course yours.

Claus

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>