[OS X TeX] An issue with the symlink /Library/teTeX

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 18 14:25:42 EST 2004

Bruno Voisin wrote:

[]
> Is there something obvious I've missed? Is this the normal behaviour of
> symlinks? Does this mean hard links should be used instead?

It is a problem with absolute paths in symlinks. Relative paths should
be used instead:

Instead of what is done right now:

/Library/teTeX -> /usr/local/teTeX

it would be better to have

/Library/teTeX -> ../../usr/local/teTeX

(I learned this from a painful experience where I deleted a 3.5GB
/sw_recent directory on an unused FireWire disk I hadn't looked at for a
while; turned out this was a symlink to /sw, so in reality I deleted the
complete Fink installation on my local Powerbook.)

--
Martin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>