[OS X TeX] TrueType-fonts in LaTeX...?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 23 05:22:24 EST 2004

Am 22.11.2004 um 23:03 schrieb Thøger Juul Thorsen:

> I've read that it should be possible to use truetype-fonts in
> latex/dvips and pdflatex without having to convert them into other
> formats. Is this true, and desirable?

I'm working on how to integrate the Apple fonts into usual TeX. They
have to be converted into PostScript.

A good step forward is to install applesystemfonts with Fink. This
package creates real TTF files, i.e. files where the ressource fork
containing the data is made accessible to UNIX tools by making it plain
file.

Next comes the actual conversion. ttf2pt1 is your first choice because
meanwhile it can access *all* glyphs in Unicode encoded fonts, i.e. you
get the Greek letters for OT1, eng/Eng for T1 and probably too all the
little (text) accents for TS1 (this will be proven, or not, this
weekend). ttf2afm is useful too because it delivers lists of the
Macintosh Roman (Platform ID 1, Encoding ID 0) and the Microsoft
Unicode (Platform ID 3, Encoding ID 1) encodings of the font, i.e. its
actual contents. Using the latter you can either teach ttf2pt1 to
extract the 'planes' needed (x03 for Greek, x01 for eng/Eng, a lot more
for TS1 and math) or just choose what you really need.

Final step is Fontinst! Combining many subsets to one complete set.
Weeks or months later all is done. I hope to have finished at Christmas
... (of course it works just to create T1 encoded fonts with three
glyphs missing

I am working recently on Lucida that comes with Java (Lucida Bright,
Lucida Sans, and Lucida Sans Typewriter). The fonts look promising
because they contain a lot of mathematical symbols too! Although their
use might be prohibited by a very restrictive license ...

In a few weeks I might have a shell script that would allow
installation. Right now I'm still playing with fontinst not making tfm
and vf files yet, just looking for 'missing glyphs' in the log file.

http://mheath.customer.netspace.net.au/ttf2pt1/ -- ttf2pt1-3.4.4

Has to be compiled by hand, i.e. via editing the Makefile. You do need
freetype 2! Autotrace and pstoedit might not be so needful, at least
autotrace has evolved since Sergey Babkin last thought it would be
necessary (in bitmap.c line #80 'atsp = at_splines_new(&atb, atoptsp);'
might be extended to 'atsp = at_splines_new(&atb, atoptsp, NULL,
NULL);' if it won't compile).
ttf2afm is in teTeX, at least in one of the i-Packages. Eddie Kohler's
LCDF typetools are a bit useful too. The programme t1testpage creates a
PostScript file that shows all glyphs of the recently to PS converter
TT font. You'll see rounding and tracing errors from the conversion.

Any testers out there who fear the threat of Christmas and would prefer
to have some *real* work around?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by"
(Douglas Adams)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>