[OS X TeX] Problem: latex command produces PDF instead of DVI

Axel E.Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Tue Nov 23 22:21:24 EST 2004

On Nov 22, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2004, at 16:31, Gerald Teschl wrote:
>
>> Dear Gerben,
>>
>> first of all thank you for you wonderfull TeX-packakes. I use them
>> for quite some time now and never had any problems.
>> However, I got a now mac and did a fresh install (TeX package version
>> 2004/11/16 22:33:48).
>>
>> I selected "Full/2004" during installation. Now the problem is that
>> latex does no longer produce dvi files.
[...]
> TL2004 has unififed most engines to pdfetex. pdfetex is perfectly able
> to produce DVI. However as it now turns out there is an
> incompatibility between teTeX and TeX live that makes latex read a
> pdfTex configuration file which sets the output format to PDF.

So, when I wrote

>> With the recent gwTeX distribution (TeXLive 2004, teTeX 3), pdf is
>> the output even for the simple command `` latex '' (in the shell, for
>> example).
>
> Oops! I have to eat my words. I just tried
>
> latex -interaction=nonstopmode '%S.tex'
>
> (the Kile default) and I got a dvi file (the same with `` latex '' in
> Terminal.app). I don't know what happened ---when I first installed
> gwTeX (2004), Kile (and the shell) refused to make a dvi, untill I
> found the I had to use the ``-output-format dvi'' option.

I was close to what was happening. The strange thing is that I'm
running exactly 2004/11/16 22:33:48, and when I try in the shell

latex test.tex

I get

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
output format initialized to DVI
entering extended mode
(./test.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>

Therefore, same gwTeX distribution, different results. I haven't done
anything at all to the default installation.

Best regards,

Axel

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>