[OS X TeX] Replacements for xfig?

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 12:49:01 EST 2004

Chris,

On Nov 24, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> First, a meta-question. Is there a searchable archive for this list on
> the web? I found the digest archives, but I didn't find anything
> easily searchable.

Is the Google-based search of the digests from:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/

somehow inadequate?  It would be nice to have a search that returned
whole, navigable threads.  On the other hand, I've had success by
searching the digests to find an appropriate thread and then searching
again using the subject line of the thread.

> I'm moving my workflow from HPUX to Mac OS X, and I'm looking for a
> replacement for xfig. I know I could install xfig itself, and that is
> an option, but I would like to avoid using X11 stuff if possible. I'm
> not looking for anything as complex as Illustrator, but I think I want
> something more powerful than Intaglio (or at least, more powerful than
> Intaglio seems to be, based on my 10 minute investigation). The
> ability to import xfig graphics (either from the native format or from
> a saved eps) would be a big plus.

I've been very happy with OmniGraffle Professional:
http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

It's beautiful, powerful without getting in the way, and just plain fun
to use.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem capable of importing xfig or eps
for editing.  It can include eps files as images in drawings; they just
can't be edited.

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>