[OS X TeX] Two question regarding CarbonEmacs

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 29 03:22:41 EST 2004

Le 29 nov. 04, à 01:53, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> When you're using Enrico Franconi's Enhanced Carbon Emacs (v.
> 21.3.50.03.11.14.CVS) (http://www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/mac-emacs/,
> download from
> http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> Enhanced%20Carbon%20Emacs%20%2821.3.50.03.11.14.CVS%29.dmg) then
> nothing's needed -- except:
>
>    * A working LaTeX installation
>    * A recent GhostScript
>    * The `texinfo' package
>
> You can find this all in Gerben Wierda's i-Packages, even dvipng is
> there, the utility that generates the graphics that can be displayed
> in Emacs. This copy (Emacs) from
> http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/emacs.html and this one (Carbon
> Emacs) from http://mindlube.com/products/emacs/index.html both need
> everything: the three things above +
>
>    * A working AUCTeX installation
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/)
>
> I think this missing piece is best installed via Fink.

Actually there's another Carbon Emacs, made by the DarwinPorts people
and available at the WebDAV server <http://packages.opendarwin.org/>.

WebDAV means you won't get much by opening this URL in a browser (only
a spartan web page), you need to use the Finder's Connect to Server
(Cmd-K) and type in the URL in the dialog that appears; then you'll see
a disk mounted on your desktop, with name packages.opendarwin.org. Go
to the directory dmgs, and pick up emacs+carbon.dmg.

This Emacs (v21.3.50, built on 14 May 2004) contains none of the
goodies of Enhanced Carbon Emacs. It also seems to be only partially
operational (maybe it needs a full DarwinPorts install in the
background), and unsupported. How it manages to be so small (16 Mb)
compared with ECE (146.6 Mb) I'm not sure. The difference in features
doesn't seem to explain the huge difference; possibly the fact that the
DarwinPorts version would use as much as possible of the Emacs built-in
with OS X? Also it seems that the actual emacs is in /opt/local, the 16
Mb program in /DarwinPorts/Emacs being only the Carbon interface to it.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>