[OS X TeX] Customizing Emacs.

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 29 10:09:30 EST 2004

I have found abbreviations to be very helpful for the kinds of
functions you describe. For example, I use \emph, \textbf, \textsc, and
a bunch of other environment commands all the time, so I have
abbreviations defined for these. If I type "emph" followed by a "{",
the "emph" is changed to "\emph" automatically.

To set up abbreviations, add these lines to your .emacs file:

(setq-default abbrev-mode t)
(read-abbrev-file "~/.abbrev_defs")
(setq save-abbrevs t)

To define an abbreviation, type the abbreviation string, and then
ctrl+x+a+i+g. A prompt will appear in the command buffer asking you for
an expansion. For example, type "emph", and then ctrl+x+a+i+g, and you
see "Global expansion for "emph":" Type "\emph" and you're done.

I have also defined a macro that allows me to select a word and enclose
it in an \emph{} command. To do this, select the word, then type
ctrl+x+shift+9 to start defining a macro. Then cut the word, type
\emph{, paste the word, close the brackets, and type ctrl+x+shift+0 to
close the macro. Then type alt+x name-last-kbd-macro to name the macro
- I call it just emph. Having done that, I can just select a word, type
alt+x emph and the word has the \emph{} command wrapped around it.

I'm sure that you could also bind this macro to a keystroke, but I
haven't done that and can't tell you how.

Fred Hoyt

\On Nov 29, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Andrea Riciputi wrote:

> I'm speaking of having keyboard shorcuts bounded to some frequently
> used LaTeX commands, such as \emph{}, \mbox{}, \frac{}{}, ^{}, _{} and
> other, like Alpha did in past times. (Actually I know Alpha is still
> there, but for several reason I prefer to stay with emacs now).
> Furthermore I'd be very very happy to make AucTeX AMSLaTeX aware, it
> should sound strange but I've not ever been able to get it working.
> :-(
>
> And yes, I've read the f***ing manual but it's so terse that was of no
> help (at least for me). I've also asked for help on AucTeX list, but
> it seems that my questions were too basic for those guys. :-(
>
> Just a little example. If I try to type '\em' and then hit M-tab or
> C-c C-m I can't get the expected (and desired) completion '\emph{}'
>
> Another example. When I want to type in an equation with, let say, the
> integral symbol it should be nice to have a dialog that asks for lower
> and upper bounds of integration and return the right LaTeX input.
>
> Anyone here has ever managed things like these?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Andrea.
>
> On 29 Nov 2004, at 15:14, Frederick Hoyt wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure which functionalities you're speaking of, but I used to
>> use TexShop (and still do, sometimes), and have been able to
>> reproduce some if its features in Emacs by defining macros and
>> abbreviations. I find these extremely useful.

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

"Hell is other people at breakfast." - Sartre

Frederick M. Hoyt
Linguistics Department
University of Texas at Austin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>