[OS X TeX] iInstaller and manually installed components

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 29 16:07:40 EST 2004

On 29 nov 2004, at 21:56, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> I chose to *add* to the usual path first /usr/local/bin, than /sw/bin,
> and than /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current. So Fink
> binaries can come before those from the i-Packages. And I have the
> opportunity to install not that ready software by hand into
> /usr/local/bin. I did this too because I've chosen to let Fink install
> 'unstable' software that's quite fresh. If you choose to be supplied
> only with 'stable' Fink software then there shouldn't be any need to
> prefer /sw/bin before
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current. i-Packages and
> stable Fink packages probably are of similiar age.

Eh, no. i-Installer TeX is newer than Fink *unstable*, as far as I
know. And your order, allows for very easy intermixing of Fink and
i-Installer teTeX that causes a lot of headaches, especially for
Gerben. Just keep it in mind next time you seem to have trouble with
TeX. To test that, take out the /sw/bin part of your path, run the
configuration stage of the i-Installer package and check to see if the
problem persists. If it's cured: you've found the culprit.

> Indeed you should take some care *not* to install Fink's teTeX by
> accident when you try to install AUCTeX, xdvi or any other packages.

The ease with which Fink will mess up your system has kept me from
using it.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>