[OS X TeX] TeXniscope speed [was XeTeX sources]

Geoff Vallis gkv at Princeton.EDU
Tue Nov 30 21:12:52 EST 2004

I actually find TeXniscope very fast, even on long documents, although
not quite as fast as xdvi. One thing that seems to slow it down is that
(when previewing a dvi file) it converts any EPS graphics to PDF
graphics using ps2pdf. This makes it slower than just using pdflatex
from the outset. If the PDF graphic already exists, there should be no
need to do this conversion. Could Texniscope not be made aware of
pre-existing PDF files and just display them if so?

This issue unintentionally doesn't arise in v0.32, because Texniscope
can't always follow the path to EPS graphics specified in the source
document, so it gives up and and moves on! This may be the reason that
Bruno (I think it was he) could not get Texniscope to display graphics
properly, when previously he had it working.

However, and needless to say, its a very nice product. After years of
using xdvi, and trying various other products, I now use TeXniscope
(along with Joachim's nice tetexcomm package for Alpha, and the two
make a virtually seamless package).

Geoff

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>