[OS X TeX] Problems with Bibdesk using elsart.cls

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 3 05:08:02 EDT 2004

On 3 okt 2004, at 5:07, Lisa Schweitzer wrote:

> I am getting confused in TexShop about using  Bibdesk with elsart.cls
> (this is the house class for Elsevier Science Publishers). I read
> through how to do this, and I am wondering if I should be doing
> something to my .aux files that I don't normally have to do in
> TexShop.  I've never had any problems using Bibdesk before (with this
> database file) , but the elsart  template suggests you to do the
> following:

Elsevier doesn't want your bibtex database, it wants you to do it by
hand (the nutcases). No problem though: just write as you normally do
(with possibly some different \cite command, depending on whether you
need parentheses at that point), and don't worry about it at this
point. Before submission, replace

\bibliographystyle{natbib}
\bibliography{any_abbreviations_or_nothing,your_bibfile}

with the _contents_ of the .bbl file that is generated in the process.
Be careful with the Elsevier supplied bibliography styles: they are
very buggy, and do not always conform to the journal's standard. You're
probably better off generating your own using the makebst script from
the terminal.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>