[OS X TeX] finding lmodern

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
Mon Oct 4 15:01:25 EDT 2004

I have what might well be a fairly newbie issue concerning LaTeX on OS
X.

I installed TeTeX (via i-Installer) and iTeXMac on my G4 laptop some
time ago. I just installed them on my new G5 desktop machine.
I read in various FAQs that one can improve the look of the pdf
documents generated by LaTeX by adding the following lines to the
preamble of every LaTeX document:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

This works fine on the laptop.
But on the desktop machine, when I try to typeset a LaTeX document, I
get the following error message:

! LaTeX error: File 'lmodern.sty' not found.

I know that finding fonts is often a problem, but I thought that
Imodern was supposed to be installed as part of TeTeX by default. I
tried running "sudo texhash" in order to make sure that LaTeX would be
able to find all the relevant files, but this made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
http://www.shaviro.com