[OS X TeX] Page scrolling in TeXShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Oct 7 17:12:19 EDT 2004

Le 7 oct. 04, à 17:12, Matthew Hills a écrit :

> If you're familiar with C and have XCode installed, you should still
> be able to wade through the objective C morass.
> (look in "MyPDFView.m")

Unfortunately I'm not. I moved directly from machine language on a HP
41 CV and BASIC on a Sharp PC 1211 (both still working) in the early
80s, to FORTRAN 77 on VAX/VMS in the late 80s, to Mathematica on Macs
and Linux afterwards. Since purchasing Mathematica I have never done
any programming again; not a lack of interest, just a lack of time.
Plus, everytime I think about going back to FORTRAN, I realize I would
have a hard time finding existing libraries covering all the special
functions I may need (like the obscure ones: Mathieu functions,
spheroidal wave functions, Gegenbauer polynomials, etc., which I think
IMSL does not include), and which are either built-in in Mathematica or
available at MathSource.

Thus, I've never learnt any C programming, not a single instruction! My
only computer classes ever were in 1984 and covered only FORTRAN and
Pascal (and, for the latter, it was a purely theoretical,
paper-and-pen, class, we were never in contact with an actual computer
running a Pascal compiler -- yes, this is the way it was in those days,
I'm really not exaggerating at all). I hope one day I will find the
time to make up for this sorry state of affairs.

Enough for the off-topic. Now:

- Matthew, about your off-list message: yes, I realize using the left
and right arrows, in multi-page mode, to move up or down one page would
break the intuitive double multi-page behaviour. I was only mentioning
these keys because in single page mode they have this effect. I
expected the usual shortcuts, uparrow, downarrow, Cmd-uparrow,
Cmd-downarrow, Shift-uparrow, Shift-downarrow, Alt-uparrow,
Alt-downarrow, Alt-Shift-uparrow, Alt-Shift-downarrow, possibly more,
to all have different effects, associated with moving up or down one
line, half a window, a whole window, one page, etc., without perturbing
the horizontal positioning. They behave like this in Textures,
similarly in OzTeX with the N and B (or Space and Delete) keys, and
possibly similarly in Apple's Preview and Adobe Reader though I've
never done any systematic exploration for them. I tried all these
combinations in TeXShop, with no luck.

Scrolling with the arrow keys alone, or with the vertical scroll bar,
works OK, but that's slow or imprecise, and I thought there would be a
keyboard equivalent to clicking above or below the slider in the scroll
bar.

- Josep: I should have thought better before speaking of a bug or
design flaw. I'm not interested either in deciding whether this should
be called a bug or flaw. What I meant is that I wonder whether the
present behaviour of TeXShop was designed to be this way (after all,
I'm no GUI expert, there might be good reasons for it to be the way it
is) or whether this behaviour results from a bug.

Bye,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>