[OS X TeX] Verdana font package?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 11 09:03:24 EDT 2004

Le 11 oct. 04, à 14:23, Jan Eden a écrit :

> Will Robertson wrote on 11.10.2004:
>
>> The U encoding is for "unknown", coz Mac OS X takes care of it all
>> for you.
>
> Unknown it is - to TeX, too: It complains about a missing uenc file. I
> switched to T1 and the error messages disappeared.

The error was possibly caused by your using

	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

and your solution was, if I understand well, to replace {U} by {T1} in
font shape declarations. This will, I think, cause strange output if
you use non-ASCII characters, like ü.

With the declarations quoted in your original message, you actually do
not need the fontenc package: I think you should just suppress
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, while leaving the encoding as {U}, and things
should work.

Will Robertson has also written a number of style files, doing all the
work for you. He defines an {osx} encoding for this, which is another
solution to the same problem.

All this may change with the next release of XeTeX, which should make
the whole process, to some extent, automatic and transparent to the
user.

There are more details about this on the XeTeX mailing list.

In a rush,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>