[OS X TeX] pstricks in pdftex and xetex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Oct 12 08:37:44 EDT 2004

Le 12 oct. 04, à 14:23, Jan Eden a écrit :

>> Ross Moore wrote on 12.10.2004:
>>
>> Including  pdf images is certainly possible with XeTeX. Please
>> provide an example file that is giving you difficulty.
>>
> Of course it is possible. It just does not work when using the beamer
> class and pgf as the underlying graphics package. I always get an
> option clash when using [xetex] and the xetex errors when leaving it
> out (as in \usepackage{graphicx}).

Did you try what I suggested in an earlier message, namely creating
custom files graphics.cfg and color.cfg, for example in
~/texmf/tex/latex/config/, based on copying the default ones from
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/config/color.cfg and
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg, and
replacing in them:

% Select an appropriate default driver
\begingroup
   \chardef\x=0 %
   % check pdfTeX
   \@ifundefined{pdfoutput}{}{%
     \ifcase\pdfoutput
     \else
       \chardef\x=1 %
     \fi
   }%
   % check VTeX
   \@ifundefined{OpMode}{}{%
     \chardef\x=2 %
   }%
\expandafter\endgroup
\ifcase\x
   % default case
   \ExecuteOptions{dvips}%
\or
   % pdfTeX is running in pdf mode
   \ExecuteOptions{pdftex}%
\else
   % VTeX is running
   \ExecuteOptions{vtex}%
\fi

by

% Select an appropriate default driver
\begingroup
   \chardef\x=0 %
   % check pdfTeX
   \@ifundefined{pdfoutput}{}{%
     \ifcase\pdfoutput
     \else
       \chardef\x=1 %
     \fi
   }%
   % check VTeX
   \@ifundefined{OpMode}{}{%
     \chardef\x=2 %
   }%
   % check XeTeX
   \@ifundefined{XeTeXversion}{}{%
     \chardef\x=3 %
   }%
\expandafter\endgroup
\ifcase\x
   % default case
   \ExecuteOptions{dvips}%
\or
   % pdfTeX is running in pdf mode
   \ExecuteOptions{pdftex}%
\or
   % VTeX is running
   \ExecuteOptions{vtex}%
\else
   % XeTeX is running
   \ExecuteOptions{xetex}%
\fi

The default commands select automatically the option [pdftex] when
pdfTeX is run, and [dvips] otherwise (to the extent that you won't run
VTeX on a Mac). Since pgf.sty, as available at
<ftp://ftp.cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pgf/>, starts with:

\RequirePackage{graphicx}

then when you read it with XeTeX the package graphicx is loaded with
the [dvips] option because no explicit option is specified, and then
when later in your LaTeX file the instruction
\usepackage[xetex]{graphicx} is found an option clash occurs.

The modified graphics.cfg and color.cfg have the effect that the option
[pdftex] is selected automatically when pdfTeX is run, [xetex] when
XeTeX is run, and [dvips] only otherwise. Hence reading pgf.sty with
XeTeX should load the graphicx package with the option [xetex] from the
start, and no option clash should occur afterwards.

HTH,

Bruno
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>